The Priory of Saint Hugues is an important building in the centre of the village. You can visit the chapel, the cloisters where there is a display about the restoration of the building, and the welcome point which has an exhibition of culture and monastic craftwork.
Built in 1830, this building originally housed a small seminary. In 1905, at the moment of the separation between church and state, it became an annexe of the departmental asylum. It returned to being a seminary from 1944 to 1968. In the 1980s it was an agricultural college.
Since 1992 it has been home to the Apostolic Sisters of Saint-Jean.
03 85 25 15 64
The Apostolic Sisters of Saint-Jean is a Catholic religious order founded in 1984.
The priory in Semur-en-Brionnais is the training centre and « Mother House » of the Order which has numerous priories in France and abroad. This year there are 47 sisters, from many different nationalities.
Masses are celebrated every Sunday at 10.30 and at 11.15 in the week. For other religious offices see the noticeboard in the cloisters or click here.